Sunday, January 24, 2010

How I cook

Basically, the more time I spend in preparation, the less chance of food consumption. So, I go for quick and easy. Here's what we did tonight.

Quiche (my sister's recipe - thanks, Amy)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees or higher if you are in a hurry but not more than 350.

Chop some broccoli into smallish pieces and then spread into the bottom of a frozen pie shell.

Add shredded cheese - two or three hand fulls depending on the size of your hand. I prefer a Mexican or pizza blend. Whatever you have in the frig will do.

In a separate bowl, whisk 4 to 5 eggs. (If your "helper" accidentally pulls the egg carton onto the floor when you turn your back for 2.5 seconds and 7 eggs crack - you can scoop up what ever is salvegable and that will do, too.)
Add some whipping cream to the eggs. I've never measured so I'm not sure how much. Probably about 1/4 cup. Milk will do but whipping cream makes for a fluffer quiche.

Salt and Pepper.

Pour egg mixture into pie shell and spread evenly. You can top with more cheese, if you wish. Bake for 30 minutes and then check every 5 or so until it is done. Might take up to 45 minutes for eggs to cook.

Ben wasn't so sure at first glance. Quiche didn't sound good to him, tonight, even though he has eaten bowls full of it in the past.

After some gentle encouragement, he agreed to a bite.

And, surprise, surprise. He liked it. (I knew he would, little Turkey.)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Liam looks so big in these pictures! What a great helper you have! I'm glad to see Ben came around to the quiche. It gives me hope for the future and picky toddler days that are sure to come.