Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All pooped out

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Ben stays at school until 2:30pm. The children have an afternoon rest time to lay quietly on their cots for about forty-five minutes. Ben hasn't fallen asleep in a long time during this break in the day (nor does he nap at home). But, his teachers are always so complimentary of how good he is during this time. I have been trying to figure out a new "break-time" routine for home because both boys are struggling with resting. I don't require naps of either of them. Most days, they don't need the nap and it often messes with their night sleep if they get one. I would just like everyone to rest - peacefully - in their own space (ie. not my space) for an hour each afternoon.

When I picked Ben up last Thursday, his teachers couldn't wait to tell me what had happened that afternoon. Ben got up from his cot (something he, apparently never does during rest time) and came to them with his lip quivering. He said, "There's a caterpillar on my cot and it pooped on my sheet." After investing, Ms. Angie said, that indeed there was a caterpillar. It had left behind a substance of some kind on Ben's sheet and then had crawled into the end of a rug that was rolled up against the wall where Ben rests. Gross.


Upon further investigation, Ms. Angie discovered quite a number of tiny items Ben has been stashing in the end of that rolled up rug. These little gems are what's keeping Ben occupied during that forty-five minutes of rest time.


Ben is not sure how the caterpillar got on his cot. Rest time does follow lunch, which follows playing outside. Who knows??

I'm thinking of cleaning out my junk drawer and making up special box of goodies that Ben can play with - only during break time.

Now, what to do with Liam....

2 comments:

Heather M. said...

Oh how funny!!! I bet a treasure chest full of mom's junk will do the trick! Great idea! Caleigh didn't nap all last week, but when we moved to the big girl bed, she started napping again with no talking to her 'friends'. I would have thought it would be the opposite! you just never know. Good luck with break time. We all need that! :)

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Hahahahaha! Poor Ben. That would be quite upsetting to have a caterpillar poop on your sheet. However, it seem like you may have gotten a wonderful idea to use during rest time...yea!!